Monday, March 19, 2007

Homemade Art

After many weeks of searching for something to put on the large, empty wall behind our kitchen table, I found...nothing. Unless I was willing to fork over several hundred dollars, there was nothing that came close to the size and style that I was looking for. So what's a girl with more time than money to do? Armed with a staple gun, several decorating books, and a vague idea of what I wanted, I set out to create my own art.

The first logical option would be to draw or paint something. However, since I can't do either to save my life, this plan was immediately crossed off the drawing board (no pun intended). So my next option was to repurpose something as art.

As anyone who knows me can attest, I love a good bargain. So I set myself a budget of $20 to create a piece of art 3'x5'. After scouring the fabric stores in the area (some multiple times), I found a drapery remnant on sale at Hancock. Following a quick trip to Home Depot to purchase some 2x2's, I commissioned the resident carpenter (my sweetie, Aaron) to build a frame. Many staples and a few screws later, my "art" now takes center stage in our dining room.



Project breakdown and cost:

  • 2 yards of 56" wide decorators' fabric: $8.08 (on sale for $6 a yard, plus 30% off all decorators' fabric, and a coupon for an additional 10% off the total purchase)
  • 2 2x2s (8' each): $3.50
  • Staple gun (the only tool that I personally own): previously purchased
  • Staples: previously purchased
  • Total: $11.58--Way under budget!!

1 comments:

heather.barnes said...

All I can say is that you guys are so clever. I would never have thought of doing something like that. Keep it up!