Sunday, May 16, 2010

It’s nice to have perspective…

Raising kids is hard.  It’s even harder on Sundays.  Today was no exception.  After hearing that the child I can depend on to be good was, to use the words of the Primary Presidency member, “a living nightmare” in Primary, poop explosions (Aaron had the joy of cleaning up that one), ruined naps, muddy clothes, and far too many “MOMMMMMMM!!!!  Paul (pushed me, threw mud in my hair, took my toy, looked at me, breathed on me!!!!),” we were only too happy to put the kids down for bed.  I came in to check my email and found this article that my dad forwarded to me:

“I would do it all again—but with cuter clothes”

And it reminded me that, yes, there were those moments, but there were also other moments:

Flushed cheeks and tousled morning hair

Cheers and a march for the “right” cereal spoon

Hugs in the hall on the way to Primary

Perfectly polite “pleases” and “thank yous”

Happy shrieks as they played in the mud

Chubby legs trying to keep up with her big brother and sister

Giggling as the neighbor’s dog gave kisses

Bear hugs for “Grandpa John”

Balancing on the wall on our walk home

Spontaneous “Mom, I love you!”

Cute flannel jammies

Sloppy goodnight kisses

“Mom, nite-nite!!” yelled through the door

Thanks, Dad.  I really needed that.  I guess time will only tell if we really will do it all over again :)  but it was sure nice to have the reminder that the little things are what you remember in the long run.

DSC_8184 

(One of the the little things.  Averi figured out how to apply mascara.)

2 comments:

Stef said...

Oh wow! You gotta love days like that. Sigh. What great perspective...
And Brody figure out how to apply mascara...to his bedroom door!! Hello!!
boys!

Gayle said...

Beautiful babies! I truly will want to do it again. I wish I could all the time. I guess that's why God let's us have grandbabies.