Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Quick trip to Utah

We’re back from a great little trip up to Utah.  My Grandma Davis was in town, it was my dad’s birthday, and Aaron had free tickets to a gaming expo, so we had a trifecta of reasons to go up.  And since we’re homeschooling, there were no school schedules to work around.  Aaron had to fly back and forth for work, but he drove both ways with me, which made the whole trip possible.  Fortunately we had free Southwest tickets that were about to expire, so it worked out well.  I had a fantastic time.  Usually when we visit we cram our days full of fun things, but this time we mostly hung out.  I loved just being with everyone all day.  It was more of a “normal life” vacation: I sewed (one costume down, five to go!!); went shopping (lots of this); crafted with my sister and sister-in-law (and then proceeded to leave the hair clip I made at my parent’s house); went to see the townhome my parents are building by Park City; saw my brother-in-law in a improv comedy performance; went out to eat lots; went to the temple with my mom, sister, cousin, and grandma; had a family birthday party; and capped it off with an evening of “My Fair Lady” at the Hale Center Theater.  Definitely a great trip.  I love Albuquerque, but I miss my family so much.  The more kids we have and the more cousins they have, the more I want to move back.  Oh well.  At least we get to visit frequently.

DSC_5466

Paul with Brayden.  These two adore each other.  One morning my mom was supposed to be taking my grandma to a doctor’s appointment, and she had forgotten that she was also supposed to watch my sister’s two kids.  Fortunately I had nothing at all planned, so I offered to take care of them.  Brayden wanted nothing to do with me once my mom left.  He was sobbing, and then he ran to Paul and wanted Paul to hold him.  It was the sweetest thing ever.  Paul has such a love for little children, especially for his sisters and cousins.  He’ll be an amazing father when he grows up. 

DSC_5484

Bridget snuggling with her great-grandma.

DSC_5479

Grandma Davis.  She’s 89 years old, and could probably outmaneuver and outwork many people half her age.  I loved listening to her tell stories.  They’re amazing, even though she doesn’t think so.  I guess her life just seems ordinary to her. 

My grandma was converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after she was married, and she grew up as a Baptist.  When she was a young girl, she had a dream about a building she had never seen before, and she knew that it was going to be important in her life and that she would have something to do with that building.  For years she kept thinking about that dream, but she eventually forgot about it.  After she met my grandpa (who was a member, but quite inactive), she had the dream again.  It wasn’t until several years later that she discovered the building she had been dreaming about was the Salt Lake Temple.  When my mom asked her about the dream, she found out that Grandma still had never been to the Salt Lake Temple.  One of the highlights of my trip was being able to go to the temple with her and with my mom, Heather, and my cousin Michelle.  It was a wonderful day.  It truly is one of the most beautiful buildings I’ve ever seen in my life.  Aaron and I were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple, and it was wonderful to go back and do a live endowment session there.  I wish I had taken pictures of us while we were there, but I forgot my camera in the car.

ca040

(Aaron and me on our wedding day)

I had a fantastic time on this little trip.  Huge thanks to my sweet husband who was willing to drive with me so that we could make it all happen!  I love you!

0 comments: